from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of boom.
- n. The act of producing a hollow or roaring sound.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Rushing with violence; swelling with a hollow sound; making a hollow sound or note; roaring; resounding.
- adj. Advancing or increasing amid noisy excitement.
- n. The act of producing a hollow or roaring sound; a violent rushing with heavy roar; ; a deep, hollow sound.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of making a deep, hollow, continued sound, or the sound itself.
- Making a deep, hollow, continued sound (in any of the senses of the verb).
- Active; lively; advancing; buoyant: as, a booming market.
- n. In mining, ground-sluicing on a large scale by emptying the contents of a reservoir at once on material collected below, thus removing boulders.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. used of the voice
- adj. very lively and profitable
Sorry, no etymologies found.