American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Extremely loud.
- idiom. deafening silence A silence or lack of response that reveals something significant, such as disapproval or a lack of enthusiasm.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In architecture, the pugging used to prevent the passage of sound through floors, partitions, and the like. Also called sound-boarding.
- adj. loud enough to cause temporary or permanent hearing loss
- adj. Very loud
- v. present participle of deafen.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act or process of rendering impervious to sound, as a floor or wall; also, the material with which the spaces are filled in this process; pugging; sound insulation.
- adj. extremely loud; so loud as to cause deafness.
- adj. loud enough to cause (temporary) hearing loss
“He also has criticized what he calls a deafening silence from the community, police and the national media.”
“Acoustic systems have been implicated in deafening sea life.”
“` ` Save Our Sonics, '' they replied in deafening unison.”
“The boos were frickin deafening while he was walking out to the mound – so in true FOX form, when you dont like reality, you alter it, or erase it.”
“At last came the word, and a score of sharp cracks leapt in deafening echoes from crag to crag, and a score of mules, with their riders, went down, creating the most dire confusion.”
“He recalled the deafening thunder of the drums, the glare and the blood, the moon peering down through the branches like the face of a perverse divinity pale from pride, and the thought that had come to him there, in his sickness and lonely hopelessness -- that while some in a fit of decrepitude and despair might turn to God, others might turn to the oblivion promised by evil.”
“Gutierrez recalls the deafening sound of the earthquake.”
“Discussing their military service and what happened on D-Day, Cutler and several others recalled the deafening artillery barrage but no heroic speeches.”
“Her silence is just as "deafening" as McCain's silence on the issues.”
“Despite pleas from the scoreboard at the Wachovia Center, which read "Flyers fans, show Philadelphia's class and welcome America's No. 1 hockey mom, Sarah Palin," ABC News 'Jake Tapper reports that the booing was so prevalent that the music had to be cranked up to "deafening" levels in order to compete with the fans from the city of Brotherly Love.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘deafening’.
Got unknown words randomly
logo design descriptive words
Looking for tweets for deafening.