American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having a favorable outcome: a successful heart transplant.
- adj. Having obtained something desired or intended: was successful in stopping the leak of oil.
- adj. Having achieved wealth or eminence: a successful architect.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having or resulting in success; obtaining or terminating in the accomplishment of what is wished or intended; often, specifically, having succeeded in obtaining riches, high position, or other objects of ambition; prosperous; fortunate.
- Synonyms Prosperous, etc. (see fortunate); effectual.
- adj. Resulting in success; assuring, or promotive of, success; accomplishing what was proposed; having the desired effect; prosperous; fortunate; happy
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Resulting in success; assuring, or promotive of, success; accomplishing what was proposed; having the desired effect; hence, prosperous; fortunate; happy.
- adj. having succeeded or being marked by a favorable outcome
- From success + -ful. (Wiktionary)
“Another important thing about Mozart to keep in mind is that his father was also a successful musician, as well as a _successful teacher_ of music who saw that his son had talent devoted a lot of time and effort towards making that talent bloom as much as possible.”
“The term successful, unfortunately, is a bit of a-- a bit of a vague term.”
“SANJAY GUPTA, CNN CHIEF MEDICAL CORRESPONDENT: Yes, you know, the term successful is a little bit of a vague term when it comes to this.”
“Page 570 pains to make his term successful by having them possessed of qualities similar to his own.”
“In August, Iran announced what it called a successful test firing of a new, longer-range Fateh-110.”
“Plus, a doctor is sued after performing what she calls a successful life saving operation.”
“The Iranian military released this video Wednesday of what it called a successful test firing.”
“Kim's public re-emerge comes as North Korea celebrates what it calls a successful missile launch.”
“According to a U.S. official, the military conducted what it describes as a successful strike into Syria yesterday.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘successful’.
Words that some students had difficulty pronouncing.
Words ending with -ful
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for successful.