from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having achieved success or recognition by one's own efforts: a self-made millionaire.
- adj. Made by itself or oneself: a self-made pond.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of a person, having achieved success by one's own efforts.
- adj. Of a thing, made by oneself instead of bought or taken over.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Made by one's self.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Made by one's self or itself.
- Having attained success in life without extraneous advantages, especially without material aid from one's family: as, a self-made man.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having achieved success or recognition by your own efforts
Indeed only four of the 42 women, or 1% of all Forbes 400 members, are self-made including Gap
As a self-made millionaire who made his fortune as a real estate developer, Fred Wilpon would be the first to tell you that neither Rome nor pennant contenders were built in a day.
Both have "rags to riches" stories, rising from poverty to become two of 14 self-made billionaire women in the world.
Wait you can't hardly find it anymore, because the self-made buisness man is penalized in taxes to death.
And he is famous for much more than being famous: the embodiment of the self-made man, he is feted at home as an entrepreneur and job-creator, owning two recording studios, a micro-finance company and a stake in a leading nightclub.
Contrastingly, Sarah Palin and Michele Bachman – Republicans – are entirely self-made women.
The adult cast is solid with Kate Winslet winning the Emmy as the self-made, self-loathing career gal and Guy Pearce snagging a supporting actor Emmy for his work as a dissolute man about town.
Not only will you sample award-winning 17-year-old Single Highland Malts and visit the bonded warehouses, but you'll go home with your own self-made 100 ml bottle.
Mr. Ravalomanana, who became a self-made millionaire selling yogurt, originally from his bicycle, used his business acumen to transform one of the world's poorest countries into one of Africa's most promising economies.
Virgin Galactic Typical customers are self-made and on average they tend to be reasonably wealthy, says Mr. Attenborough.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.