from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Yet to be crowned: an uncrowned queen.
- adj. Having the power or influence of a monarch or other prominent figure but not the title: the uncrowned king of the espionage world.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not (yet) crowned
- adj. deprived of the monarchy
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not wearing a crown; not having assumed the crown, as a sovereign prince who has not yet received coronation. Hence Having royal rank or power without occupying the royal office.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not having an (artificial) crown on a tooth; used especially of molars and bicuspids
- adj. not (especially not yet) provided with a crown
Sorry, no etymologies found.
On Sunday, he went to a Friends meeting, where he listened to Rufus Jones, whom he called the uncrowned Quaker pope.
Their leader, Heydebrand, is known as the uncrowned king of Prussia.
Vollmar, for example, who in his own land possesses so great an influence that he has been called the uncrowned king of Bavaria, cannot consent to play second fiddle in the German national organization.
Heydebrand, leader of the Conservative Party, called the uncrowned King of Prussia, said yesterday in the Prussian Chamber that "America was among the worst enemies of Germany."
Sir Frank Leader was known as the uncrowned king of the world's pulp-wood trade.
But as you are a kind of uncrowned queen these days, Kara, I thought you might be permitted to offer a sweet now and then to your ladies in waiting. "
By the 1880s, Parnell had become the face of Irish Nationalism, and so popular was he, during his tour of Toronto, an associate dubbed him the “uncrowned king of Ireland.”
Prince was led away by these uncrowned heroes who had seen history made, who regarded the great and the romantic as but the ordinary and the incidental in the routine of life.
"Against the mighty forces of the assembled star-kings, the army of Valkyr counted for almost nothing; but the savage fighting men of the Edge carried with them their talisman -- Alys Imperatrix, uncrowned sovereign of the Galaxy, Heiress of the Thousand Emperors ..."
'Against the mighty forces of the assembled star-kings, the army of Valkyr counted for almost nothing; but the savage fighting men of the Edge carried with them their talisman -- Alys Imperatrix, uncrowned sovereign of the Galaxy, Heiress of the Thousand Emperors ...'
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.