American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The process of making fibrous material into yarn or thread.
- n. The act of fishing with a light rod and a reel having a bail or similar device that guides the line around a stationary spool and that can be disengaged to let the line run freely, as when casting. Also called spin casting, spin fishing.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of one who spins.
- n. The process of giving shape to vessels of thin metal by means of a turning-lathe.
- n. In angling, fishing with a spinner. See spinner, 1 .
- n. The operation of running off a part of the water on the top of the charge in an amalgamating-mill.
- n. The operation of molding metals such as silver, etc., while they are rapidly revolving (‘spinning’), in a manner similar to the molding of wet clay, into pitchers, vases, etc.
- adj. Rapidly rotating on an axis; whirling.
- n. The process of converting fibres into yarn or thread.
- n. Indoor cycling.
- v. present participle of spin.
GNU Webster's 1913
- a. & n. from spin.
- n. creating thread
“The linen industry was started by Miss Twelves; the spinning is all done with the old-fashioned wheels, and the weaving is all done by hand.”
“So we were interested in spinning these a little bit.”
“We both arrived Thursday night, where my head was still spinning from a week straight of thesis-ing.”
“As for equipment: your rod should be at least 9'-12 'long, in either spinning or conventional (spinning is recommended for beginners).”
“I think spinning is more versatile and can in many cases handle more amounts of heavy line. but i am not an expert on bait casting.”
“Is there anyone on that list who doesn't have a financial interest in spinning positive news on home sales and prices?”
“Hey mike the spinning is NOT working, You failed to do your job 8 years ago by not taking an hour or so to look this guy up before you let him lose on America, man up dude.”
“Well, I can't wait to hear the Rush/Beck/Palin spinning on this ....”
“When you deal in spinning Hatred to your troops-it's a little too late to pull them back in after that train has left the station.”
“One of the boys had a top and Jack demonstrated to them his expert ability in spinning it and revealed to them the technique of top spinning to their amazement and boyish wonder.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘spinning’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Key terms from Mitt Romney's election campaign
good and generous..., hard fought election, go back to work, optimistic and po..., confident in the ..., optimism, uniquely American, nation of immigrants, want a better life, life in that plac..., pursuit of the ri..., richness of this ... and 369 more...
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Buzzwords of our time
Everything sheep, from Artiodactyla to zodiac.
This list is basically an excuse for me to list the word wool four times in a row.
Words relating to the gentle art of making yarn.
words that are pretty.
Looking for tweets for spinning.