from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The process of making fibrous material into yarn or thread.
- n. The act of fishing with a light rod and a reel having a bail or similar device that guides the line around a stationary spool and that can be disengaged to let the line run freely, as when casting. Also called spin casting, spin fishing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Rapidly rotating on an axis; whirling.
- n. The process of converting fibres into yarn or thread.
- n. Indoor cycling.
- v. Present participle of spin.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- a. & n. from spin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of one who spins.
- n. The process of giving shape to vessels of thin metal by means of a turning-lathe.
- n. In angling, fishing with a spinner. See spinner, 1 .
- n. The operation of running off a part of the water on the top of the charge in an amalgamating-mill.
- n. The operation of molding metals such as silver, etc., while they are rapidly revolving (‘spinning’), in a manner similar to the molding of wet clay, into pitchers, vases, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. creating thread
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The linen industry was started by Miss Twelves; the spinning is all done with the old-fashioned wheels, and the weaving is all done by hand.
So we were interested in spinning these a little bit.
We both arrived Thursday night, where my head was still spinning from a week straight of thesis-ing.
As for equipment: your rod should be at least 9'-12 'long, in either spinning or conventional (spinning is recommended for beginners).
I think spinning is more versatile and can in many cases handle more amounts of heavy line. but i am not an expert on bait casting.
Is there anyone on that list who doesn't have a financial interest in spinning positive news on home sales and prices?
Hey mike the spinning is NOT working, You failed to do your job 8 years ago by not taking an hour or so to look this guy up before you let him lose on America, man up dude.
Well, I can't wait to hear the Rush/Beck/Palin spinning on this ....
When you deal in spinning Hatred to your troops-it's a little too late to pull them back in after that train has left the station.
One of the boys had a top and Jack demonstrated to them his expert ability in spinning it and revealed to them the technique of top spinning to their amazement and boyish wonder.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.