American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Not yet decided or settled; awaiting conclusion or confirmation.
- adj. Impending; imminent.
- prep. While in the process of; during.
- prep. While awaiting; until.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Depending; remaining undecided; not terminated: as, a pending suit; while the case was pending.
- For the time of the continuance of; during; in the period covered by: as, pending the suit; pending the negotiation. When used of an action, pending properly indicates the period before final judgment. Sometimes it is more loosely used to include the time which may elapse before such judgment is satisfied.
- v. present participle of pend.
- adj. awaiting a conclusion or a confirmation
- adj. begun but not completed
- adj. about to happen; imminent or impending
- prep. While waiting for something; until.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. awaiting conclusion or confirmation
- French pendant, pendant, pending (from Old French; see pendant1) + -ing1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The hospital withheld her name pending notification of family members.”
“The public information officer for the Oshkosh police said during a brief news conference that detectives made a positive identification of a male recovered from the river, but were waiting to release his name pending notification and according to the wishes of his family.”
“Photo: #Former Republican Governor Arne Carlson came up with the idea for a nonpartisan summit of former and current lawmakers as a way for Minnesota to better understand what he describes as a pending "economic tsunami.”
“Chase spokesman Tom Kelly said the company has requested that the courts not enter judgments in pending matters until the company has had time to re-examine the filings "to verify that the affidavits and other documents meet the standard of personal knowledge or review where that is required.”
“Among other things, the Justice Department argued that the decisions made by the two-member Board should be upheld, as otherwise decisions in pending cases could not be made.”
“The beef group has been fighting sweeping new rules on livestock marketing – which failed to pass in the 2008 Farm Bill, but are pending from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.”
“Her name also appears on substitute paperwork in pending foreclosure cases in Florida, according to court documents and lawyers representing the borrowers.”
“In addition to this litigation, decisions are still pending from the FAA on threats to aviation safety, and the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court is due to rule this summer on a slew of potential permitting violations.”
“The NAR measured the highest growth in pending home sales in the South, with a 6.7% increase from last month, but is still 13% behind sales from last year.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pending’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Budgetese - not a sexy topic but a very comprehensive list of words and collocations used in EU circles. Budgeting experts please comment and expand.
heading, across-the-board ..., emergency reserve, frontload, mopping-up, performance reserve, positive margin, negative margin, public finances, structural operat..., administrative ex..., management of EU ... and 657 more...
additionality, audit trail, accounting standards, auditing standards, general audit obj..., a posteriori audit, a priori audit, above board, acceptable error ..., access rights, accountability, accountable entities and 1283 more...
Legal glossary with special focus on courtroom vocabulary
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Looking for tweets for pending.