American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Execution on a gallows.
- n. Something, such as a tapestry, that is hung.
- n. A descending slope or an inclination.
- adj. Situated on a sharp declivity.
- adj. Projecting downward; overhanging.
- adj. Suited for holding something that hangs.
- adj. Deserving death by hanging: a hanging crime.
- adj. Disposed to inflict severe sentences, such as death by hanging: a hanging judge.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of suspending, or the state of being suspended.
- n. Specifically Suspension by the neck; particularly, capital punishment by suspension with strangulation, by means of a rope with a noose at one end which is placed about the neck, the other end being attached to a beam.
- n. That which hangs or is pendent. Specifically — A piece of textile fabric, such as tapestry, used to cover in part the wall of a room, or as a curtain at a door or window.
- n. plural The material with which the walls of a room are draped or covered, including even paper which is pasted upon them, as in the term paper-hangings. See arras, tapestry, and curtain.
- n. plural The sloping side of a hill.
- Requiring or deserving punishment by the halter.
- Suggesting or foreboding death by the halter.
- Unfixed; floating.
- v. present participle of hang.
- adj. Suspended.
- n. uncountable The act of hanging a person (or oneself) by the neck in order to execute that person (or to commit suicide).
- n. countable A public event at which a person is hanged.
- n. countable Anything wide, high and rather thin that is hung as a decorative element (such as curtains, gobelins, wallpaper or posters).
- n. uncountable The way in which hangings (decorations) are arranged.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Requiring, deserving, or foreboding death by the halter.
- adj. Suspended from above; pendent.
- adj. Adapted for sustaining a hanging object.
- n. The act of suspending anything; the state of being suspended.
- n. Death by suspension; execution by a halter.
- n. That which is hung as lining or drapery for the walls of a room, as tapestry, paper, etc., or to cover or drape a door or window; -- used chiefly in the plural.
- n. a form of capital punishment; victim is suspended by the neck from a gallows or gibbet until dead
- n. decoration that is hung (as a tapestry) on a wall or over a window
- n. the act of suspending something (hanging it from above so it moves freely)
“Papa left the name hanging near the front door as a “welcome” sign.”
“A giant Jeff Koons puppy might be cute and bring smiles to the faces of thousands of people, but a giant train hanging from a crane probably won't do much for people .. other than confuse them and make them think that all art sucks.”
“All it needed was “Exhibit A” penned in blue ink on a tag hanging from it by a white string.”
“Well, she said, the word hanging in the air between us.”
“My hand found a pink ribbon tied around the stem, then a tag hanging from the ribbon.”
“COOPER: Give a whole new meaning to the term hanging Chad.”
“COOPER: It's going to give a whole new meaning to the term hanging Chad.”
“I saw the Premier of Great Britain hanging from the yard arm of the ship of State, I saw all the gold in Great Britain divided among the people thereof, I saw a commonwealth of socialism established, and I saw other miracles performed too numerous to mention; all this within the short space of six hours.”
“How hateful it looked standing there in the white room with the label hanging from the handle!”
“Rupert Garcia's silk screen depicts '60's activist H. Rap Brown, a black man, tangling with a white police officer, with the words of the title hanging above the scene.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hanging’.
Words that make other words with the addition of one letter at the beginning. The resulting words are tagged "behead".
There are thousands of sign languages and possibly millions of gestures in human communication but not all of them have a name. Some are understood everywhere, some are understood everywhere but di...
Words related to livestock brands, along with some examples of how the brands would be "called." Brands are usually read from left to right, from top to bottom, and from the outside to the inside.
Gestures, signs and signals.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
The Grim Reaper is so creative.
Created in the midst of my previous list, Nightmares!. I had sick stuff on the brain.
Looking for tweets for hanging.