from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Execution on a gallows.
- n. Something, such as a tapestry, that is hung.
- n. A descending slope or an inclination.
- adj. Situated on a sharp declivity.
- adj. Projecting downward; overhanging.
- adj. Suited for holding something that hangs.
- adj. Deserving death by hanging: a hanging crime.
- adj. Disposed to inflict severe sentences, such as death by hanging: a hanging judge.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of hang.
- adj. Suspended.
- n. The act of hanging a person (or oneself) by the neck in order to execute that person (or to commit suicide).
- n. A public event at which a person is hanged.
- n. Anything wide, high and rather thin that is hung as a decorative element (such as curtains, gobelins, wallpaper or posters).
- n. The way in which hangings (decorations) are arranged.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Requiring, deserving, or foreboding death by the halter.
- adj. Suspended from above; pendent.
- adj. Adapted for sustaining a hanging object.
- n. The act of suspending anything; the state of being suspended.
- n. Death by suspension; execution by a halter.
- n. That which is hung as lining or drapery for the walls of a room, as tapestry, paper, etc., or to cover or drape a door or window; -- used chiefly in the plural.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of suspending, or the state of being suspended.
- n. Specifically Suspension by the neck; particularly, capital punishment by suspension with strangulation, by means of a rope with a noose at one end which is placed about the neck, the other end being attached to a beam.
- n. That which hangs or is pendent.
- n. plural The material with which the walls of a room are draped or covered, including even paper which is pasted upon them, as in the term paper-hangings. See arras, tapestry, and curtain.
- n. plural The sloping side of a hill.
- Requiring or deserving punishment by the halter.
- Suggesting or foreboding death by the halter.
- Unfixed; floating.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a form of capital punishment; victim is suspended by the neck from a gallows or gibbet until dead
- n. decoration that is hung (as a tapestry) on a wall or over a window
- n. the act of suspending something (hanging it from above so it moves freely)
Sorry, no etymologies found.