from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of crucifying; execution on a cross.
- n. The crucifying of Jesus on Calvary. Used with the.
- n. A representation of Jesus on the cross.
- n. An extremely difficult, painful trial; torturous suffering.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An execution by being nailed or tied to an upright cross and left to hang there until dead.
- n. The death on the Cross of Christ.
- n. An ordeal, terrible, especially malicious treatment imposed upon someone
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of nailing or fastening a person to a cross, for the purpose of putting him to death; the use of the cross as a method of capital punishment.
- n. The state of one who is nailed or fastened to a cross; death upon a cross.
- n. Intense suffering or affliction; painful trial.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of fixing to a cross, or the state of being stretched on a cross: an ancient Oriental mode of inflicting the death-penalty, applied in rare instances by the Greeks and more commonly by the Romans, by both Greeks and Romans considered an infamous form of death, and reserved in general for slaves and highway robbers.
- n. Specifically The putting to death of Christ upon the cross on the hill of Calvary.
- n. Hence Intense suffering or affliction; great mental trial.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of executing by a method widespread in the ancient world; the victim's hands and feet are bound or nailed to a cross
- n. the infliction of extremely painful punishment or suffering
- n. the death of Jesus by crucifixion
The figure of Christ during the crucifixion is actually James Caviezel, despite popular rumors - no animatronics were used.
In some communities, flagellation and/or real crucifixion is included.
We must be crucified personally, mystically; for through crucifixion is the only path to resurrection.
The first crucifixion is being doled out to "Cynewulf," played by a 27 year-old electrical engineer from Flint, Michigan, whose crime is "ganking" (ripping off) new players as they first appear in game.
Yet for the Indie's Tim Luckhurst, 'Kate's crucifixion' is a tale of fashion labels 'buckling' under the pressure of the hideous tabloids.
Gentiles that sought His presence, the hour of His death was the hour of His life; the hour of His defeat in crucifixion the hour of His triumph in redemption.
I fielded so many horrified condolence calls after one particularly savage L.A. Times profile of me that I found myself plaintively asking a friend, Don’t you think the word crucifixion is overused nowadays?
Yep, the story of Jesus’s crucifixion is coming to a Twitter feed near you.
The odd thing about Glenn Greenwald’s constant auto-erotic crucifixion is trying to figure out how he manages to drive in that last nail.
“The odd thing about Glenn Greenwald’s constant auto-erotic crucifixion is trying to figure out how he manages to drive in that last nail.”
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.