American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Supporting or suspending: a suspensory bandage.
- adj. Delaying completion.
- n. A support or truss.
- n. An athletic supporter.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In anatomy and zoology, adapted or serving to suspend a part or organ; suspending; suspensorial: as, the cremaster is a suspensory muscle; the quadrate is a suspensory bone.
- In surgery, forming a special kind of sling, in which an injured or diseased part is suspended: as, a suspensory bandage or belt for the scrotum in orchitis.
- Suspending; causing interruption or delay; staying effect or operation: as, a suspensory proposal.
- n. A suspensory muscle, ligament, bone, or bandage; a suspensorium.
- adj. Held in suspension.
- adj. Holding in suspension.
- adj. Suspensive.
- n. Something that suspends.
- n. Specifically the suspensory ligament
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Suspended; hanging; depending.
- adj. Fitted or serving to suspend; suspending.
- adj. (Anat.) Of or pertaining to a suspensorium.
- n. (Med.) That which suspends, or holds up, as a truss. a bandage or bag for supporting the scrotum.
- n. a bandage of elastic fabric applied to uplift a dependant part (as the scrotum or a pendulous breast)
- suspense + -ory (Wiktionary)
“ I can make it into the abdomen and locate the uterus and trace it up to the swelling of the ovary and begin to strum the suspensory ligament, but that's it.”
“ I put slight pressure on this suspensory ligament, and the dog's breathing becomes more rapid.”
“Earlier research by other authors indicated that for monkeys this suspensory way of locomotion might be a more energetically efficient way of transportation than ‘regular’ walking on the ground.”
“The button-hole, I have said, is a modern invention; Urwah is also applied to the loopshaped handle of the water-skin, for attachment of the Allákah or suspensory thong.”
“I put slight pressure on this suspensory ligament, and the dog's breathing becomes more rapid.”
“I can make it into the abdomen and locate the uterus and trace it up to the swelling of the ovary and begin to strum the suspensory ligament, but that's it.”
“For length, the penis is separated from its mooring — its suspensory ligaments — and, essentially, given a yank to bring more penis above-board.”
“She held that tense, almost fetal postition for a suspensory moment -- then broke down.”
“This section is all about the clitoris and its many wonderful parts: clitoris, hood of clitoris, glans of clitoris, shaft of clitoris, suspensory ligament, crura, bulbs of the vestibule, and vestibular glands.”
“Touch any part — there is a slow suspensory withdrawal, and then a snap and spurt of water as the last remnant of the living mantle disappears between the interlocking valves of porcelain white.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘suspensory’.
Budgetese - not a sexy topic but a very comprehensive list of words and collocations used in EU circles. Budgeting experts please comment and expand.
heading, across-the-board ..., emergency reserve, frontload, mopping-up, performance reserve, positive margin, negative margin, public finances, structural operat..., administrative ex..., management of EU ... and 657 more...
additionality, audit trail, accounting standards, auditing standards, general audit obj..., a posteriori audit, a priori audit, above board, acceptable error ..., access rights, accountability, accountable entities and 1283 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
I have a list for words learned from Newsweek; here's where I keep all the stuff from other shit I read.
Except when I'm looking stuff up and find new words that way. Those go on their...
Looking for tweets for suspensory.