from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Supporting or suspending: a suspensory bandage.
- adj. Delaying completion.
- n. A support or truss.
- n. An athletic supporter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Held in suspension.
- adj. Holding in suspension.
- adj. Suspensive.
- n. Something that suspends.
- n. Specifically the suspensory ligament
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Suspended; hanging; depending.
- adj. Fitted or serving to suspend; suspending.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a suspensorium.
- n. That which suspends, or holds up, as a truss.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In anatomy and zoology, adapted or serving to suspend a part or organ; suspending; suspensorial: as, the cremaster is a suspensory muscle; the quadrate is a suspensory bone.
- In surgery, forming a special kind of sling, in which an injured or diseased part is suspended: as, a suspensory bandage or belt for the scrotum in orchitis.
- Suspending; causing interruption or delay; staying effect or operation: as, a suspensory proposal.
- n. A suspensory muscle, ligament, bone, or bandage; a suspensorium.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bandage of elastic fabric applied to uplift a dependant part (as the scrotum or a pendulous breast)
suspense + -ory (Wiktionary)