American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Hanging loosely; suspended so as to swing or sway.
- adj. Wavering; undecided.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Hanging loosely or swinging freely from a fixed point above; hanging; swinging; loosely pendent: as, pendulous ears.
- In zoology, specifically applied — To the pensile nests of birds, which hang like a purse or pouch from the support.
- To the penis, clitoris, or scrotum when loosely hanging from the perineum or abdomen, as in various monkeys, marsupials, etc.
- In botany, same as pendent, more especially when the flexure is from weakness of the support.
- In suspense; wavering; doubting; undecided.
- adj. hanging as if from a support
- adj. indecisive or hesitant
- adj. biology having branches etc. that bend downwards; drooping or weeping
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Depending; pendent loosely; hanging; swinging.
- adj. rare Wavering; unstable; doubtful.
- adj. (Bot.) Inclined or hanging downwards, as a flower on a recurved stalk, or an ovule which hangs from the upper part of the ovary.
- adj. having branches or flower heads that bend downward
- From Latin pendulus, from pendēre, to hang; see (s)pen- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The upper lip may hang pendulous, which is due to the want of nervous stimulus.”
“Other complications, such as pendulous tits or projections, from one-fourth to one and a half inches in length, are attendant upon fistula.”
“Some killer CraigsList What The Effies for you: just want big boobs, he likes them "pendulous" and "disproportionately large.”
“Some of these “conservative” gay bashers should be fitted for bras, given their own very unmasculine bodies and pendulous he-boobies.”
“She continued tirelessly, painting with pessimistic strokes the growing black future her husband was meditating for her, while the boy, fearful of some vague, incomprehensible catastrophe, began to weep silently, with a pendulous, trembling underlip.”
““Yes, our parties were the best,” he sniffed, squinting down his pendulous nose.”
“The birds bent the tree branches from which they hung, pendulous ornaments, their amber eyes like glass beads.”
“I saw pieces of buttocks and mountainous thighs and pendulous abdomens emerging.”
“If I was a compact little person and did not fear knocking over coffee mugs with my pendulous boobs, I might enjoy doffing my clothing while going about my day.”
“With the first full puff of the smoke he gave over his moans and yelps, the agitation began to fade out of him, and Daughtry, appreciatively waiting, saw the trembling go out of his hands, the pendulous lip-quivering cease, the saliva stop flowing from the corners of his mouth, and placidity come into the fiery remnants of his eyes.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pendulous’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Beautiful, attractive, well-formed
Ugly, unattractive, malformed
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
words delicious to pronounce
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
My big word list.
words pertaining to the root spe- (hope) with some allegorical liberties.
Words I Like
These are words that I have learnt over the years and want to remember
Looking for tweets for pendulous.