from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Resembling a bulb in shape; rounded or swollen: a bulbous nose; a bulbous stem base.
- adj. Botany Bearing bulbs or growing from a bulb.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having the shape of or resembling a bulb, bloated.
- adj. Overweight and round in shape.
- adj. Growing from a bulb or producing bulbs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having or containing bulbs, or a bulb; growing from bulbs; bulblike in shape or structure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Producing or growing from bulbs: as, bulbous plants.
- Pertaining to or resembling a bulb; swelling out; bulb-shaped.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. curving outward
- adj. shaped like a bulb
Octopus Studios 'tropical/freshwater fish-tanks assembles into a kind of fishy habitrail, wherein bulbous spheres of water are connected by diagonal tubes.
The same occurs in bulbous rooted plants raised from seed; they die annually, and produce others rather more perfect than the parent for several years, and then produce sexual flowers.
But Mr. Ferry seemed pleased at the prospect, though not by the glasses that Mr. Narváez produced, which Mr. Ferry called "bulbous."
The Mad Hatter is a kind of bulbous, ancient harlequin, while Alice is a doe-eyed anime princess.
Nearly every kind of bulbous roots, if not previously planted, may now be put in the earth.
The nose was flat, "bulbous," with a very rounding end, and deeply indented at root.
The interior of the restaurant is a mixture of rustic elements such as bulbous fabric lamps, and warm Mediterranean colours.
Was there really a time when a band could expect to do good business with 21 minute-long songs in 9 / 8 time about supernatural experiences involving the spirit of the pharaoh Akhenaten, performed by a vocalist dressed as a kind of bulbous alien with an inflatable penis?
The thumb and forefingers of his other hand, hooked under his wide belt, struggled to pull his khaki trousers up over his bulbous belly.
During commercial breaks, she made herself honeyless green tea, imagined the bulbous grey nests growing in the attic, amassing additional layers, until the tip of her home was saturated with the winged insects.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.