from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having a globelike shape; spheroid.
- n. A globe-shaped object.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A spherical representation or projection of a sphere or ellipsoid.
- n. Mathematical connotation of globe.
- adj. Of, or pertaining to, a globe
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Approaching a globular form; globe-shaped; spheroid.
- n. In botany, an amorphous or globular concretion of a double phosphate of calcium and magnesium, associated with the protein-crystals in protein-granules.
The bill would add five lysosomol storage diseases to the newborn screening panel: Pompe disease or acid maltase deficiency; Krabbe disease or globoid cell leukodystrophy; Gaucher's disease; Niemann-Pick disease; and Fabry disease.
The pathological changes observed in GLD, including the presence of globoid cells (macrophages containing undigested galactosylceramide) in white matter, loss of oligodendrocytes and decreased myelin, appear to result from the toxic nature of psychosine and accumulation of galactosylceramide that cannot be degraded due to the GALC deficiency.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.