American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Transmitting light but causing sufficient diffusion to prevent perception of distinct images.
- adj. Clear; lucid.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Transmitting rays of light, withont being transparent, as alabaster.
- Transparent; clear.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Transmitting rays of light without permitting objects to be distinctly seen; partially transparent.
- adj. Poetic Transparent; clear.
- adj. allowing light to pass through diffusely
- From Latin translucentem, accusative of translucens which is present participle of translucere, trans- "through" and lucere "to shine". (Wiktionary)
- Latin trānslūcēns, trānslūcent-, present participle of trānslūcēre, to shine through : trāns-, trans- + lūcēre, to shine; see leuk- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The street-facade is clad in translucent white insulated plastic panels which are backlit to provide indirect lighting both for the exterior and interior living area.”
“The vests, and boxy shaped sleeveless jackets with tails, were paired with abbreviated skirts layered under long, featherlight skirts in translucent silk.”
“Brainz and Chinese food can easily get confused in translucent Tupperware, but not with a label & date.”
“Suitable for eating sushi or defending the galaxy, the Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader lightsabers measure over 9″ long, with the blades cast in translucent material.”
“This hardly seems the sort of thing one would now expect of the tea-sipping kind of nature writing Gessner describes, writing that seeks to describe nature in translucent language and dulcet tones and that seeks to elevate the scenery so described above the writer's own subjective perceptions.”
“The word translucent means, not completely opaque and not completely transparent.”
“Cook until mushroom in translucent, then add the bamboo shoots and eggplant.”
“Written in translucent English, this book studies not only the events of the Arab Revolt; it also evaluates the geopolitical significance of the Middle East at a time when the glance of most observers was turned elsewhere.”
“Every bit of fluid that passes through a vehicle must be lugged in translucent jugs over to a trailer, where it is broken down until it’s no longer harmful to the environment.”
“The spirit warriors were easy to identify as the translucent human-shaped beings roaming around with real rifles in their grasp.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘translucent’.
List of minerals, elements, group names and geochemistry terms encountered in the science of mineralogy. I've chosen to avoid capital letters in most examples, though a great many mineral names hon...
This is Ghost List 2 ( the kind that go 'boo!' ) :P
( open list )
abducens.....draw..., ablation.....carr..., acetylcholine......., adrenalin.....nea..., afferent.....to c..., agnosia.....no kn..., alar.....wing-like, alexia.....no words, alveus.....canal, amacrine.....no l..., ambidextrous........, ambiguus.....doub... and 701 more...
we are all just passing through.
(boundaries, portals and liminal spaces/times)
just like it sounds
across or beyond; on or to the other side; through; going beyond
This list, the one shown below this very message, is a collection of words that you cannot begin to fathom how much I adore. The list will also feature atithesis and contrasting words such as the t...
Words I like to use, words I like but may forget.
Looking for tweets for translucent.