from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or having the characteristics of a metal.
- adj. Containing a metal: a metallic compound.
- adj. Having a quality suggesting or associated with metal, especially:
- adj. Lustrous; sparkling: metallic colors.
- adj. Sharp-tasting: an unpleasant, metallic flavor.
- adj. Harshly resonant: "the strange metallic note of the meadow lark, suggesting the clash of vibrant blades” ( Ambrose Bierce).
- n. A yarn or fiber made of or containing metal.
- n. A fabric, typically shiny or iridescent, made of such yarn or fiber.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Made of, appearing to be made of, resembling, or related to metal.
- n. A metallic color
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a metal; of the nature of metal; resembling metal
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or characterized by, the essential and implied properties of a metal, as contrasted with a nonmetal or metalloid; conductive of electricity; basic; forming positive ions in solution; antacid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of or having the characters of a metal; made up of metal or of an alloy.
- Characteristic of a metal: as, a metallic luster.
- Having one or more properties resembling those of metals: as, a metallic voice.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fabric made of a yarn that is partly or entirely of metal
- adj. containing or made of or resembling or characteristic of a metal
- n. a yarn made partly or entirely of metal
From Latin metallicus, from metallum ("metal"). (Wiktionary)