American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or having the characteristics of a metal.
- adj. Containing a metal: a metallic compound.
- adj. Having a quality suggesting or associated with metal, especially:
- adj. Lustrous; sparkling: metallic colors.
- adj. Sharp-tasting: an unpleasant, metallic flavor.
- adj. Harshly resonant: "the strange metallic note of the meadow lark, suggesting the clash of vibrant blades” ( Ambrose Bierce).
- n. A yarn or fiber made of or containing metal.
- n. A fabric, typically shiny or iridescent, made of such yarn or fiber.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of or having the characters of a metal; made up of metal or of an alloy. This word is used to indicate the condition of a metal (see
metal) in which it exists by itself, and not mineralized or combined with those substances which take away its metallic character and convert it into an ore, in which the elementary substance exists, but often with characters greatly differing from those which it has when separated from its mineralizers, or reduced to the metallic form.
- Characteristic of a metal: as, a metallic luster.
- Having one or more properties resembling those of metals: as, a metallic voice.
- adj. Made of, appearing to be made of, resembling, or related to metal.
- n. A metallic color
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to a metal; of the nature of metal; resembling metal
- adj. (Chem.) Of, pertaining to, or characterized by, the essential and implied properties of a metal, as contrasted with a nonmetal or metalloid; conductive of electricity; basic; forming positive ions in solution; antacid.
- n. a fabric made of a yarn that is partly or entirely of metal
- adj. containing or made of or resembling or characteristic of a metal
- n. a yarn made partly or entirely of metal
- From Latin metallicus, from metallum ("metal"). (Wiktionary)
“Ten fella three times, Billy," Sheldon said encouragingly, though there was a certain metallic rasp in his voice.”
“The Japanese Kanji symbol for "luck" in metallic copper fired onto translucent, purple glass.”
“Since then, the marketing for the assured summer blockbuster has steadily increased as we near its May 2nd release date, so much so I feel like we're drowning in metallic red and gold.”
“Anyway, I've used hand-dyed fabric for the background, then stitched it with a flame pattern in metallic thread (only one breakage - hoorah), added a strip of sheer fabric (behind the hand) and some yarns.”
“ I said, touching the thin metallic limbs that surrounded me.”
“Atoms of the rare isotope 3He have to form pairs analogous with pairs of electrons in metallic superconductors.”
“Their method is applicable to surfaces of solids and is based on the tunneling of electrons from very thin metallic tips to atoms on the surface when the tip is moved at very close distance to it (about 1 nm).”
“Philip W. Anderson made several important contributions to the theory of electronic structures in metallic systems, in particular concerning the effects of inhomogeneities in alloys and magnetic impurity atoms in metals.”
“Even the placing of light elements such as hydrogen in metallic hydrides, or hydrogen, carbon and oxygen in organic substances can be determined.”
“The carriers in metallic conductors are electrons, and they all carry the same negative charge.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘metallic’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
emotions, reactions, senses, how do we feel when we wear gold, generational, memories,
Words ending in ic, tic or nic.
Goodies pulled from a list I've compiled of most-every word having these letters in common — It's going take to take a long, long time to actually get through (and I may want to extend it lat...
Adjectives used in actual (non-taxonomic) bird names, past and present.
Looking for tweets for metallic.