from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Sticking together; cohering.
- adj. Marked by an orderly, logical, and aesthetically consistent relation of parts: a coherent essay.
- adj. Physics Of, relating to, or having waves with similar direction, amplitude, and phase that are capable of exhibiting interference.
- adj. Of or relating to a system of units of measurement in which a small number of basic units are defined from which all others in the system are derived by multiplication or division only.
- adj. Botany Sticking to but not fused with a part or an organ of the same kind.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Unified; sticking together; making up a whole.
- adj. Orderly, logical and consistent.
- adj. Aesthetically ordered.
- adj. Having a natural or due agreement of parts; harmonious: a coherent design.
- adj. Of waves having the same direction, wavelength and phase, as light in a laser.
- adj. Attaching or pressing against an organ of the same nature.
- adj. Belonging to a specific class of sheaves having particularly manageable properties closely linked to the geometrical properties of the underlying space.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Sticking together; cleaving; as the parts of bodies; solid or fluid.
- adj. Composed of mutually dependent parts; making a logical whole; consistent.
- adj. Logically consistent; -- applied to persons.
- adj. Suitable or suited; adapted; accordant.
- adj. Of or pertaining to electromagnetic waves that have a constant phase relationship with each other; having identical phase at all points.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sticking, or sticking together; cleaving, as the parts of a body, solid or fluid, or as one body or substance to another; adhesive.
- Connected; consistent; having a natural or due agreement of parts; consecutive; logical: said of things: as, a coherent discourse.
- Observing due order, connection, or arrangement, as in thinking or speaking; consistent; consecutive: said of persons.
- Suited; fitted; adapted; agreeing.
- In botany, sometimes used for connate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (physics) of waves having a constant phase relation
- adj. sticking together
- adj. capable of thinking and expressing yourself in a clear and consistent manner
- adj. marked by an orderly, logical, and aesthetically consistent relation of parts
From Latin cohaērēns, from co- + haereō. (Wiktionary)