American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Being in due proportion; proportional.
- v. To make proportionate.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having proportion, or due proportion; adjusted to something else according to a certain rate or comparative relation; proportional.
- To make proportional; adjust according to a settled rate or to due comparative relation or proportion: as, to proportionate punishments to crimes.
- adj. In proportion; proportional; commensurable.
- adj. Harmonious and symmetrical.
- v. transitive To make proportionate.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Adjusted to something else according to a proportion; proportional.
- v. To make proportional; to adjust according to a settled rate, or to due comparative relation; to proportion.
- adj. exhibiting equivalence or correspondence among constituents of an entity or between different entities
- adj. being in due proportion
- adj. agreeing in amount, magnitude, or degree
“As to the point to Adam B. - I was using an "extreme" example to prove a point re. the legitimacy of using the term proportionate at all (which is standardly used by the police re. proportionate force etc.).”
“When I last covered Giuliani the night of the Iowa Caucus, in fact, he was here in Florida, as we all know, saying he was not at all worried about what he calls his proportionate strategy.”
“We don't make it onto the Hugo ballot in proportionate numbers, I suspect because the voter base for the Hugos has its favorites.”
“The notion that a military response should be proportionate is silly.”
“Except, this equation has one extra term proportionate to hbar.”
“Moreover, it raises the farmer's income, enhances his standard of living, absorbs the rain, keeps his farm from migrating to the Gulf of Mexico, and in proportionate degree it aids in lessening the volume of flood waters each year.”
“But was it "proportionate" -- using the buzzword of the moment?”
“Every time that Israel allowed the terrorists to strike with relative impunity - every time the response was 'proportionate' - Hamas and Hezbollah gained support among Palestinians and respect in the world as a whole (because, no matter what they say, even overcivilized Europeans love a winner).”
“Indeed, it would appear that the real interests of political actors will find expression proportionate to their power, regardless of administrative arrangements Coy, 1946; Dimock, 1951.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘proportionate’.
Use these and get promoted
Key words from "The Training of a Public Speaker" by Grenville Kleiser (New York and London, 1920)
Looking for tweets for proportionate.