from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Occurring or existing at the same time. See Synonyms at contemporary.
- adj. Moving or operating at the same rate.
- adj. Having identical periods.
- adj. Having identical period and phase.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. At the same time, at the same frequency.
- adj. Single-threaded; blocking; occurring in the same thread as other computations, thereby preventing those computations from resuming until the communication is complete.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Happening at the same time; simultaneous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Happening at the same time; simultaneous.
- In electricity, in step with the alternations of the current.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. occurring or existing at the same time or having the same period or phase
- adj. (digital communication) pertaining to a transmission technique that requires a common clock signal (a timing reference) between the communicating devices in order to coordinate their transmissions
From Late Latin synchronus, from Greek sunkhronos : sun-, syn- + khronos, time.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)