from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Planned or accomplished together; combined: We made a concerted effort to solve the problem.
- adj. Music Arranged in parts for voices or instruments.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of concert.
- adj. Performed through a concert of effort; done by agreement or in combination.
- adj. Having separate parts for voices and instruments
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Mutually contrived or planned; agreed on.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Mutually agreed upon, contrived, or planned.
- Brought into connection or relation; connected by a plan.
- In music, arranged in parts for several voices or instruments, as a trio, a quartet, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. involving the joint activity of two or more
Sorry, no etymologies found.
They wrote today to Bill Lan Lee, the assistant attorney general for civil rights, and asked him to conduct a federal investigation into what they call the concerted effort to undermine the right to vote -- Stephen.
He said the move was staged by Democrats to avoid investigating what he called a concerted effort by Perdue to circumvent the laws so the campaign could hide flights offered by donors who had already exceeded the $4,000 maximum donation per election.
HRW also decried what it called a concerted attack on the International Criminal Court
Clearly countering entrenched acceptance of male violence against women will take long term concerted effort.
Hundreds of millions can be spent in concerted action for the cause of destruction.
The Tamils, who appeared to take no joy in choosing between two men who have killed tens of thousands of their neighbours, surprised many observers by turning strongly to Gen. Fonseka in what some describe as a concerted act of revenge for the abuse and segregation meted out by the government after the war.
This was a long term concerted effort of many people of various minds concerning the life of the church.
a US journalist, accusing the government of violating international and local laws in doing so and demanding an end to what it called a concerted "assault on freedom."
So what we learn from your comments is that, if you want to eliminate workers’ legal right to engage in concerted activity and to form unions … then you oppose Employee Free Choice.
Officials allege most of the lumpers were being paid on a piece rate plan that many of them couldn't understand, in what officials have described as a "concerted effort" to cheat the workers out of their wages.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.