American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Producing a display of lustrous, rainbowlike colors: an iridescent oil slick; iridescent plumage.
- adj. Brilliant, lustrous, or colorful in effect or appearance: "The prelude was as iridescent as a prism in a morning room” ( Carson McCullers).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Exhibiting or giving out colors like those of the rainbow; gleaming or shimmering with rainbow colors; more generally, glittering with different colors which change according to the light in which they are viewed, without reference to what the colors are; lustrously versicolor; of changeable metallic sheen, as certain birds, insects, minerals, glass, fabrics, etc.
- adj. not comparable Producing a display of lustrous, rainbow-like colors; prismatic.
- adj. Brilliant, lustrous, or colorful.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having colors like the rainbow; exhibiting a play of changeable colors; nacreous; prismatic. See iridescence.
- adj. varying in color when seen in different lights or from different angles
- adj. having a play of lustrous rainbow colors
- Coined around 1800, from Latin iris ("rainbow") + -escent. (Wiktionary)
“Also called iridescent shark catfish, Pangasius thrives in Vietnam's Mekong River.”
“In denominations of 50, 100, 200 and 500 pesos, they look similar to existing bills but incorporate additional security measures such as iridescent bands and optically variable ink which appears to change color, depending on the angle from which it is viewed.”
“September 24, 2009 at 4:39 pm sorry…i forgot to respond the first time…it’s called the iridescent butterfly top, and will be available in november only via wholesale…so you can visit your local boutique that carries fp, or nordstrom, or bloomingdales!”
“The word "iridescent" for "having or showing shifting changes in color or an interplay of rainbowlike colors" comes from this root.”
“A few French words are thrown in as well as harder words such as iridescent, azure, automatic, and glamorous.”
“Belatedly, I was informed that if you have an iridescent or otherwise metallic background, you need to cut the capping glass larger.”
“Some of them have iridescent glass as a background, which does weird things to the glass on top of it.”
“Â This 13-foot flightless bird is covered with beautiful iridescent feathers, which required a new approach to hair technology.”
“One is iridescent purple, traded I can't remember for what, with my friend Paul Chiten , a Los Angeles rock musician.”
“Striking black and white; brightest blue and red; creamy yellow, iridescent green.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘iridescent’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
( open list, visual, light, descriptive )
glisten, gleam, sparkle, shine, shimmer, gloss, pearly, opalescent, iridescent, prismatic, multifaceted, glow and 35 more...
As the title suggests...
most vocab in the textbook Page till end chapter 2.
These words have been posted on my vocabulary tumblr, wickedcoolwords.tumblr.com!
Looking for tweets for iridescent.