from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A geometric surface, all of whose plane sections are either ellipses or circles.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a surface, all of whose cross sections are elliptic or circular (includes the sphere)
- n. Such a surface used as a model of the shape of the earth.
- adj. Shaped like an ellipse; elliptical.
- adj. Of or pertaining to an ellipse.
- adj. Having the tridimensional shape of an ellipse rotated on its long axis.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A solid, all plane sections of which are ellipses or circles. See conoid, n., 2 (a).
- adj. Pertaining to, or shaped like, an ellipsoid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In geometry, a solid figure all plane sections of which are ellipses or circles.
- n. In anthropology, a cranium the norma verticalis of which has an ellipsoidal form.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a surface whose plane sections are all ellipses or circles
- adj. having the nature or shape of an ellipsoid
Sorry, no etymologies found.