from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A body that is shaped like a sphere but is not perfectly round, especially an ellipsoid that is generated by revolving an ellipse around one of its axes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A solid of revolution generated by rotating an ellipse about its major (prolate), or minor (oblate) axis.
- adj. Of a shape similar to a squashed sphere.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A body or figure approaching to a sphere, but not perfectly spherical; esp., a solid generated by the revolution of an ellipse about one of its axes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A geometrical body approaching to a sphere, but not perfectly spherical.
- n. In geometry, a solid generated by the revolution of an ellipse about one of its axes.
- n. In anthropology, a cranium of nearly spherical form.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a shape that is generated by rotating an ellipse around one of its axes
Sorry, no etymologies found.