American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of the family Leguminosae, which includes peas, beans, clover, alfalfa, and other plants.
- adj. Resembling a legume.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to pulse; consisting of pulse.
- In botany, bearing legumes as seed-vessels; pertaining to plants which bear legumes, as peas; specifically, of or pertaining to the Leguminosæ. Also leguminose.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Pertaining to pulse; consisting of pulse.
- adj. (Bot.) Belonging to, or resembling, a very large natural order of plants (Leguminosæ), which bear legumes, including peas, beans, clover, locust trees, acacias, and mimosas.
- adj. relating to or consisting of legumes
- From Middle English and from French légumineux, both from Latin legūminōsus, from legūmen, legūmin-, bean. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Zero-burn techniques in which the felled forest biomass is broken down under a short term leguminous cover crop followed by moderate applications of lime and P fertilizer show considerable promise.”
“Remember also that some trees, called leguminous trees, such as Prosopis, Faidherbia and Leucaena can take nitrogen from the air and turn it into nitrogen that the tree can use to grow, so you may not need to fertilize the tree with nitrogen.”
“Also, some trees, known as leguminous trees, improve the soil by fixing nitrogen from the air, making it available to livestock.”
“It may be generally recommended as a manure for all crops, except, perhaps, the so-called leguminous crops, such as clover, beans, peas, &c, whose ability to obtain nitrogen for themselves renders the application of expensive artificial nitrogenous manures unadvisable.”
“The primary forest is composed of many species of leguminous trees including Burkea africana, Detarium microcarpum, Afzelia africana, Daniellia oliveri, and Isoberlinia doka.”
“You can very well get enough proteins by eating nuts, seeds and oils with your vegetables as well as leguminous plants.”
“I am working on a leguminous recipe for you and will blog it up soon.”
“Zollernia paraensis, a leguminous tree, Theobroma grandiflorum, a fruit similar to cacao called cupuaçu, and Cordia goeldiana, a common timber tree, are all well-known in eastern Pará.”
“The important leguminous timber tree acapú, Vouacapoua americana, is restricted to eastern Amazonia north and south of the river.”
“There is a gradation from north to south, with the southern third of the park being the moistest and richest area, especially of leguminous trees.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘leguminous’.
All the scientific words found in the official EU nomenclature. For the screening I used Vocabgrabber of the Visual Thesaurus.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words from the California State Spelling Bee in 2011, from which I got fourth place.
fun words grown in the garden.
Looking for tweets for leguminous.