American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Consisting of or similar to bristles.
- adj. Thick with bristles.
- adj. Exhibiting or tending to exhibit agitation or anger: a bristly exchange between lawyers.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Thickly set with bristles, or with hairs like bristles; rough: as, “a bristly neck,”
- Resembling a bristle or bristles.
- adj. Covered with bristles.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Thick set with bristles, or with hairs resembling bristles; rough.
- adj. very irritable
- adj. having or covered with protective barbs or quills or spines or thorns or setae etc.
“It was a startling assembly, not the least because with a few faintly yellow exceptions, the vroqupii were clad in short, bristly, rose-hued fur.”
“As he makes the rounds at the zoo, Svitalsky stops to tweak a bristly, football-size ear, provoking a snort of delight from Nasima, the world's only breeding female rhino in captivity.”
“National Action Party in 1994, he has been known as a bristly, cigar-chomping wheeler-dealer who seldom commented on, or acknowledged the existence of, Mexico's poor.”
“That is bristly ox tongue, which you can use as salad or as greens.”
“You know, Chris had bristly eyebrows, and before we met he always had the barber trim them.”
“Football also makes people cross enough to become frantically upset about Neil Lennon, a man who, in normal life, might be the kind of slightly testy neighbour who occasionally leaves a note on your windscreen about wheelie bin maintenance, but who, in football, is deemed a bristly ginger hard-nut super villain.”
“Thorne: Kent's bristly personality can't erase Hall of Fame career”
“Thorne: Kent's bristly personality can't erase Hall of Fame career - USATODAY. com”
“Pickle has short, bristly hair all over, mottled black and brown.”
“When Cocky, balanced on one leg, the other leg in the air as the foot of it held the scruff of Michael's neck, leaned to Michael's ear and wheedled, Michael could only lay down silkily the bristly hair-waves of his neck, and with silly half-idiotic eyes of bliss agree to whatever was Cocky's will or whimsey so delivered.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bristly’.
discovered while reading this book.
Hairy words. Much pilfered from G. Cook's Hairy list.
Looking for tweets for bristly.