from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Covered with or made from mats.
- adj. Tangled in a dense mass: tried to push through the matted undergrowth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of mat.
- adj. forming a thick tangled mess
- adj. covered with mats or matting
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having a dull surface; lusterless; unburnished; same as matte.
- adj. Covered with a mat or mats.
- adj. Tangled closely together; having its parts adhering closely together.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Covered with mats or matting.
- Dull; lusterless; covered with a mat glaze: as, matted steel; matted glass; matted pottery.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not reflecting light; not glossy
- adj. tangled in a dense mass
Sorry, no etymologies found.