from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having or consisting of woolly hairs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Covered in or composed of wooly hairs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Wooly; covered with fine long hair, or hairlike filaments.
- covered with dense often matted or curly hairs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Woolly; covered with a substance resembling wool, as an animal, or the leaf or stem of a plant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. covered with dense cottony hairs or hairlike filaments
BUDS -- terminal buds usually 3/8 to 3/4 of an inch long, subglobose to narrowly ovate, with 8-10 imbricate scales, the outermost of which are a blackish brown with dark brown tomentum, and a short mucronate or attenuate apex, inner scales light brown with longer lanate pubescence and apex acute to obtuse; lateral buds smaller, about 1/4 of an inch with tightly appressed scales.
Judging from her appearance, the transformists tell us that she was an Anthidium, that is to say, she used to gather the soft cotton-wool from the dry stalks of the lanate plants and fashion it into wallets, in which to heap up the pollen-dust which she gleaned from the flowers by means of
The boy went to the neighbours, who found that Suresh Samboocharan and his wife, Pinky, had drank from a bottle of the pesticide, lanate.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.