American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Reaching or having reached puberty.
- adj. Covered with short hairs or soft down.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Arriving at puberty.
- Covered with pubescence, or fine short hair; downy.
- In botany, covered or sprinkled with down or hairs: a general term, including villous, hirsute, strigose, lanate, etc., but when used alone in specific description denoting a soft or downy and short pubescence.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Arrived at puberty.
- adj. Covered with pubescence, or fine short hairs, as certain insects, and the leaves of some plants.
- adj. covered with fine soft hairs or down
- adj. (of animals especially human beings) having arrived at the onset of puberty (the age at which sex glands become functional) but not yet fully mature
- From Latin pubescens ("to become hairy, downy, or an adult") (Wiktionary)
- Latin pūbēscēns, pūbēscent-, present participle of pūbēscere, to reach puberty, from pūbēs, adult. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Deflowering a curious and coquettish cusp-pubescent is illegal and icky at best, and, due to “ability to consent,” probably properly defined, in our modern morality, as rape.”
“Post-pubescent is still UNDER AGE – STATUTORY RAPE!!”
“BLITZER: So you're making a difference between pedophilia and what's called phebophilia (ph), which is the post-pubescent, 16 -, 15 -, 16 -, 17-year-olds as opposed to pre-pubescent, which is pedophelia.”
“And he doesn't have that kind of pubescent depression and life looks grand.”
“On CNN yesterday, Catholic League President William Donohue defended the assertion by pointing to a study that found that "three out of every four" of the male victims of sexual abuse by Catholic priests were "post-pubescent, meaning that it's homosexuality driven.”
“On CNN yesterday, Catholic League President William Donohue defended the assertion by pointing to a study that found that “three out of every four” of the male victims of sexual abuse by Catholic priests were “post-pubescent, meaning that it’s homosexuality driven.””
“CPS has argued it found a “pervasive pattern and practice” of forced underage marriage and sexual abuse there, and that more than 25 percent of pubescent girls removed from the compound were married between ages 12 and 15.”
“I can't exactly root for the thirty year-old and the barely pubescent teen, you know?”
“What makes this film a particularly worthy addition to the Alice canon is that it explores the psyche of a post - rather than pre-pubescent Alice.”
“Based on the kitschy 1985 Michael J. Fox big-screen comedy about a pubescent, van-surfing furball, MTV's Teen Wolf remake could have been a total mutt.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pubescent’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A hodgepodge, jumble, jambalaya, *gallimaufry, circus and tent revival of plant anatomy and morphology terms and phrases - its a big tent, and no tickets are required.
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
Words meaning hairy.
Hairy words. Much pilfered from G. Cook's Hairy list.
Looking for tweets for pubescent.