from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Resembling a spine or thorn.
- adj. Having spines or similar projections; spiny.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having many spines.
- adj. Of a person, difficult to deal with, prickly.
- adj. Of a subject, providing many difficulties, thorny.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Spinose; thorny.
- adj. Having the form of a spine or thorn; spinelike.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In zoology and anatomy:
- Having spines; spiny; spinigerous or spiniferous.
- Shaped like a spine; spiniform; having the character of a spine; sharp or pointed: as, a spinous process of bone. See spinose.
- In botany, same as spinose.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. shaped like a spine or thorn
- adj. having spines
spine + -ous, Latin spinōsus. (Wiktionary)