from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Suggestive of the texture of velvet; soft and smooth: velvety skin.
- adj. Smooth-tasting; mellow: a velvety sherry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Like velvet (but not velvet); soft, smooth, soothing. Not necessarily restricted to the sense of touch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Made of velvet, or like velvet; soft; smooth; delicate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling velvet; having a nap like that of velvet; also, soft and smooth to the eye or to the touch, somewhat like velvet: as, velvety texture among minerals.
- Having a peculiar soft or smooth taste.
- Having a contact like that of velvet; touching softly: as, a velvety touch on the piano.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. resembling velvet in having a smooth soft surface
- adj. smooth and soft to sight or hearing or touch or taste
From velvet + -y. (Wiktionary)