from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having the capacity to sting.
- v. Present participle of sting.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Piercing, or capable of piercing, with a sting; inflicting acute pain as if with a sting, goad, or pointed weapon; pungent; biting
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- That uses a sting; furnished with a sting or stinging organs of any sort; urticating: as, a stinging insect or sea-nettle.
- In botany, noting a plant furnished with stinging hairs. See sting, 2.
- That pierces or wounds as with a sting; that causes acute pain, irritation, or the like; keen; sharp; pungent; telling: as, a stinging tongue; a stinging rebuke or remark.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of speech) harsh or hurtful in tone or character
- n. a kind of pain; something as sudden and painful as being stung
Sorry, no etymologies found.