from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Marked by or consisting of scratches: scratchy handwriting.
- adj. Making a harsh scratching noise: a scratchy voice; a scratchy record.
- adj. Harsh and irritating: a scratchy fabric.
- adj. Irregular; uneven: played a scratchy stroke.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Characterized by scratches; itchy; irritating.
- adj. annoying, irritating
- adj. (of an analogue radio transmission) noisy, lossy; marred by white noise or static as a result of poor or low signal, interference or unfavourable atmospheric conditions
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Characterized by scratches.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of mere scratches, or presenting the appearance of such; ragged; rough; irregular.
- Scratching; that scratches, scrapes, or grates: as, a scratchy pen; a scratchy noise.
- Of little depth of soil; consisting of rocks barely covered with soil: as, scratchy land.
- Wearing a scratch-wig.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. lacking consistency
- adj. unpleasantly harsh or grating in sound
- adj. causing abrasion
- adj. easily irritated or annoyed
Sorry, no etymologies found.