American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Marked by or consisting of scratches: scratchy handwriting.
- adj. Making a harsh scratching noise: a scratchy voice; a scratchy record.
- adj. Harsh and irritating: a scratchy fabric.
- adj. Irregular; uneven: played a scratchy stroke.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of mere scratches, or presenting the appearance of such; ragged; rough; irregular.
- Scratching; that scratches, scrapes, or grates: as, a scratchy pen; a scratchy noise.
- Of little depth of soil; consisting of rocks barely covered with soil: as, scratchy land.
- Wearing a scratch-wig.
- adj. Characterized by scratches; itchy; irritating.
- adj. annoying, irritating
- adj. informal (of an analogue radio transmission) noisy, lossy; marred by white noise or static as a result of poor or low signal, interference or unfavourable atmospheric conditions
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Characterized by scratches.
- adj. lacking consistency
- adj. unpleasantly harsh or grating in sound
- adj. causing abrasion
- adj. easily irritated or annoyed
“Chapter/Region: with the * scratchy scratchy scratchy* with the diamond needles .....”
“And now, in this new Web ad, which is posted on Obama's Web site, she complains that the Clinton camp used that old video, which she said was intended for things like cough syrup, for the politics of fears -- tinting the footage and adding what she calls a scratchy voice.”
“Later, as they lay wrapped in scratchy sheets, her eyes flashing a very ordinary hazel and she cackled, “I have an idea.””
“For Santa, that task is to deliver toys on Christmas Eve and sit in scratchy suits in department stores and next to food courts across the land.”
“I've got it in scratchy AM, 33s, 45s and eight-track ...”
“His aged voice was hoarse and scratchy from the drinking of too much swipes at a funeral the night before, nothing of which contributed to make me less irritable.”
“AF is lovely on me- but I find the incensey woods 'scratchy'- not velvety.”
“The CD's substandard sound quality recalls scratchy and filthy vinyl reproduction but, regardless, Rare Meat proves essential for collectors or diehards wishing to own his earliest recordings.”
“Sounds kind of scratchy and uncomfortable to me, but whatever.”
“Personally, I didn't get much of a "scratchy" feeling from Yu's artwork on Secret Invasion #1, I actually thought it's the cleanest his art has looked since like Ultimate Wolverine vs.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘scratchy’.
words that describe sound
The many textures of touch.
Mere days ago, I found a five-week-old kitten abandoned in the median of the Avenue we live on. She was in terrible shape, but is doing great now thanks to love and dedication.
Looking for tweets for scratchy.