American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Attractive or appealing: a catchy idea for a new television series.
- adj. Easily remembered: a song with a catchy tune.
- adj. Tricky; deceptive: a catchy question on an exam.
- adj. Fitful or spasmodic: catchy breathing.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Apt or tending to catch the fancy or attention; catching; taking.
- adj. Tending to catch or insnare; entangling; -- usually used fig..
- adj. Consisting of, or occuring in, disconnected parts or snatches; changeable.
- adj. likely to attract attention
- adj. having concealed difficulty
“Put yourself in the recipients shoes and then think that he might be busy, he might be focused on his own work, he even might not have time to clear the inbox … One more email might prove to a be big problem for him … So keep the title catchy to tempt his nerves to the limit.”
“I have a couple of L Gaga songs on the IPHONE. .catchy is the word”
“The cover artwork is catchy from a distance (so good for book shelves).”
“First, she makes for good copy and has a knack for coining catchy phrases ( "death panels") and new words ( "refudiate" -- it's now in the dictionary).”
“The little newspaper might be called "The Family Times," or "The Humphrey Home," or something catchy from the mouths of your own babes.”
“O'Reilly has an amazing, wonderful gift for popularizing hard ideas and for explaining abstruse technology in catchy ways.”
“The name was catchy, but the description was so confusing that I had to take the publicist up on his offer to meet the website's creator.”
“The President tried to make up for that with lofty rhetoric -- kudos to the alliterative speechwriter who coined the catchy phrase "disrupt, dismantle, and defeat al-Qaeda.”
“I wish I could narrow my life down into witty one word catchy responses.”
“February 28, 2005 20: 31 rohin: wow. my friend linked me to the Sunshowers video today ... it's so crazy. and the song itself is so fookin 'catchy.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘catchy’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
What a -Y does to an otherwise common, dull word
Looking for tweets for catchy.