from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Fraught with uncertainty or doubt; undecided.
- adj. Arousing doubt; doubtful: a dubious distinction.
- adj. Of questionable character: dubious profits.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Arousing doubt; questionable; open to suspicion.
- adj. In disbelief; wavering, uncertain, or hesitating in opinion; inclined to doubt; undecided.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Doubtful or not settled in opinion; being in doubt; wavering or fluctuating; undetermined.
- adj. Occasioning doubt; not clear, or obvious; equivocal; questionable; doubtful.
- adj. Of uncertain event or issue.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Doubting; hesitating; wavering or fluctuating in opinion, but inclined to doubt.
- Doubtful; marked by or occasioning doubt or uncertainty; difficult to determine or relieve of uncertainty; not distinct or plain; puzzling: as, a dubious question; a dubious light.
- Of uncertain event or issue: as, a dubious undertaking.
- Liable to doubt or suspicion; of doubtful quality or propriety; questionable: as, a man of dubious character; a dubious transaction; his morals or his methods are dubious. Synonyms Unsettled, undetermined.
- Doubtful, Ambiguous, etc. (see obscure, a.); questionable, problematical, puzzling.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. open to doubt or suspicion
- adj. fraught with uncertainty or doubt
- adj. not convinced
From Latin dubius; see dwo- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin dubius. (Wiktionary)