American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Open to dispute; debatable: disputable testimony.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- That may be disputed; liable to be called in question, controverted, or contested; controvertible: as, disputable statements, propositions, arguments, points, or cases.
- Disputatious; contentious.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Capable of being disputed; liable to be called in question, controverted, or contested; or doubtful certainty or propriety; controvertible.
- adj. obsolete Disputatious; contentious.
- adj. open to argument or debate
- adj. capable of being disproved
- dispute + -able (Wiktionary)
“How happy were it for the church if those that have a clearness in disputable things would be satisfied to have it to themselves before”
“But there is another truth, equally in. disputable, which is that a man who aspires to govern mankind ought to bring to the task generous sentiments, compassionate sympathies, and noble and elevated thoughts.”
“Once it endorsed a hedonic analysis of value, modern aesthetics concentrated on regularizing aesthetic pleasure, showing how it is "disputable" and, despite its singularity, manifests standards even in the absence of rules or principles.”
“- (containing the "disputable" books - 2 Peter, 2nd 3rd John, Jude, the Apocalpse, Letter of Hermes, Didache, etc. *) never became a cause for schism.”
“- (containing the "disputable" books - 2 Peter, 2nd 3rd John, Jude, the Apocalpse, Letter of Hermes, Didache, etc.) never became a cause for schism.”
“To get to that result required deciding a fairly technical point of law in a highly disputable way, followed by a judgment call on the merits that is perhaps less disputable, but still open to real doubt.”
“This is quick, crude, and polemical, so I apologize in advance for half a hundred disputable points and a baker's dozen of simple errors.”
“The work of conversion, the change, and the manifestations of it are no more disputable than that light which I see, or anything that ever I saw.”
“Yet the Iraqi army had not been involved in the suppression of the civilian population in the way that parts of the Libyan armed forces have, so the parallel is disputable.”
Looking for tweets for disputable.