from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, producing, or marked by controversy: a controversial movie; a controversial stand on human rights.
- adj. Fond of controversy; disputatious.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Arousing controversy—a debate or discussion of opposing opinions.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Relating to, or consisting of, controversy; disputatious; polemical.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to controversy; characterized by or connected with disputation; disputatious: as, a controversial discourse.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. marked by or capable of arousing controversy
From Latin controversia ("controversy") + -al; see controversy. (Wiktionary)