from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Difficult to fathom or understand; impenetrable. See Synonyms at mysterious.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Difficult or impossible to comprehend, fathom, or interpret.
- n. One who or that which is inscrutable; a person, etc. that cannot be comprehended.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Unsearchable; incapable of being searched into and understood by inquiry or study; impossible or difficult to be explained or accounted for satisfactorily; obscure; incomprehensible.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Incapable of being searched into or scrutinized; impenetrable to inquiry or investigation; incognizable: as, the ways of Providence are often inscrutable.
- Synonyms Impenetrable, undiscoverable, incomprehensible, unsearchable, mysterious.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of an obscure nature
Jamie gazed down at her, his expression inscrutable.
She was watching me, her expression inscrutable, somehow aloof and intimate all at once.
She turned to find him still standing in the exact same spot, his expression inscrutable.
His stark blue eyes were locked on her, his expression inscrutable.
“My path is clear to me,” he said, his expression inscrutable.
He gazed down at her, black lashes partially obscuring obsidian eyes, their expression inscrutable.
She tried to imagine how Giovanni would look now, but all she could see was Marco across the table, his handsome face impassive, his expression inscrutable.
He began to think that perhaps the word "inscrutable" had been coined expressly for her.
She sat next to him at the bar, her expression inscrutable, looking crisp and as cool as her coloring would allow in pale trousers and a cinnamon cotton shirt.
A compact little man came out and moved the suitcases and the table around in inscrutable silence for 40 minutes.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.