from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A method of asphalt shingle application, whereby shingle courses are applied vertically, up the roof rather than laterally across and up.
- n. spun yarn used in racking ropes
- v. Present participle of rack.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Spun yarn used in racking ropes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of torturing on the rack.
- n. Nautical, a piece of small stuff used to rack a tackle.
- n. In metallurgical operations, same as ragging, 2.
- n. In the manège, same as rack.
- n. In masonry, the act of leaving-unfinished masonry, as prepared to receive future additions, in steps. Compare toothing.
- n. In mech.: The act of operating or moving a slide-rest, or other feeding device, by a rack-and-pinion motion.
- n. The act of running the hoisting-crab or trolley of a crane in or out, backward or forward, to place it in proper position.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. causing great physical or mental suffering
Sorry, no etymologies found.