from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- prep. In, to, through, or during every part of; all through: The road is kept open throughout the year.
- adv. In or through all parts; everywhere: The material is flawed throughout.
- adv. During the entire time or extent: Though unsure how her speech would be received, she remained calm and professional throughout.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- prep. In every part of; all through.
- adv. Completely through, right the way through.
- adv. In every part; everywhere.
- adv. During an entire period of time.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In every part.
- prep. Quite through; from one extremity to the other of; also, every part of.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Everywhere; in every part; in all respects.
- Quite through; from one end or side of to the other; in every part of.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. used to refer to cited works
- adv. from first to last
ABC censored the word throughout the heated debate.
As I have said, it was meant in a conciliatory and friendly way in the context in which I have used the word throughout my life and as set out earlier in this Statement.
The Wigan game was the most moving I have ever felt … with fans singing my name throughout the game.
The eyes of all people are upon us, so that if we deal falsely with our God in this work we have undertaken and so cause Him to withdraw His present help from us, we shall be made a story and a byword throughout the world.
Caitlyn nodded and whispered back, He hardly spoke a word throughout dinner.
Stuffily, the Internet has spread the word throughout the software sphere.
The Asian Wall Street Journal spread the word throughout the Far East: “The Broken Hearts Club will have a slow U.S. rollout beginning in major cities.”
Mark had been constantly glancing at the upright figure of his father, but Mr Rawlins had said hardly a word throughout the interview.
He remembered her expression throughout the surgery—a look of intense concentration that never once left her face, though she had to have been experiencing some strong emotion, since he had known, ever since discovering the boy in her cottage, that the two of them shared a bickering fondness for one another.
She completely ignored Angel, who had eaten very little and had not said a word throughout the meal.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.