American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- prep. Surrounded by; in the middle of.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In the middle; in the midst.
- In the midst or middle of; surrounded or encompassed by; mingled with; among. See amidst.
- Synonyms Amid, Among, etc. See among.
- Combining forms of amide (which see).
- prep. Surrounded by; in the middle of; in the center of.
GNU Webster's 1913
- prep. See amidst.
- From a- + mid. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English : a-, in; see a-2 + mid, middle (from Old English midde, middle; see medhyo- in Indo-European roots). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“One of the most conservative members of the House of Representatives says he will not run for another term amid claims he called a gay sex phone line.”
“He moved to Sunderland in summer 2008 but left Wearside six months later without a single goal to his name amid rumours of a dressing room bust up with team-mate Anton Ferdinand.”
“Paul Hanagan was a man simply unable to take his hands off the steering wheel and give up the pursuit of the jockeys' championship, until he claimed the title amid joyous scenes at”
“Politico, "some Republicans are privately urging Sen. Jim Bunning (R-Ky.) to step down at the end of his term amid growing concerns that he can't win reelection in 2010.”
“A senior Secret Service official said a "top-to-bottom" review of the agency's protective department was ordered shortly after Obama began his term amid the highest threat level for any recent president.”
“But he and other leaders in Raleigh for now are more optimistic than they were eight years ago, when Easley's began his term amid a recession.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘amid’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
verbs Adj Adv noun
Very basic words for ESL students.
Modern English words impacted by and descended from Old English.
There are 17576 different sequences of three letters (26 x 26 x 26). How many of them occur in words? General rules of engagement: mononyms only, lower case preferred to upper case, short preferred...
All the words I don't know in New York Times Sunday Newspaper
These are words that I enjoy using, but aren't particularly great out-of-context for another other reason.
List of new words,meaning,theasurus,exemlpes,prononciation,translation in Serbian
Looking for tweets for amid.