from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Flowing forth suddenly or violently.
- v. Present participle of gush.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Rushing forth with violence, as a fluid; flowing copiously.
- adj. Emitting copiously, as tears or words; weakly and unreservedly demonstrative in matters of affection; sentimental.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Escaping with force, as a fluid; flowing copiously.
- Emitting copiously: as, a gushing spring.
- Exuberantly and demonstratively emotional; given to or characterized by gush: as, a gushing girl; a gushing letter.
- Synonyms Sentimental, hysterical, etc. (in style). See bombast.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. flowing profusely
- adj. extravagantly demonstrative
- adj. uttered with unrestrained enthusiasm
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Mr. Arroyo said fuel was gushing from the craft and his concern was to get the occupants out, fearing a fire would ignite.
Some of them have mineral springs loaded with curataive powers gushing from the rocks.
In the front matter of Moby-Dick, William Paley's Natural Theology is quoted: "The aorta of a whale is larger in the bore than the main pipe of the water-works at London Bridge, and the water roaring in its passage through that pipe is inferior in impetus and velocity to the blood gushing from the whale's heart."
Doug Suttles, BP's chief operating officer for exploration and production, said it was impossible to know just how much oil was gushing from the well, but said the company and federal officials were preparing for the worst-case scenario.
As the oil continues gushing from the sea floor, hurricane season is only four weeks away.
Without dramatic visuals of a volcano of crude gushing from the bottom of the sea, there were other stories to pursue.
I'm just waiting until the first "he's as good as Carter!" gushing comes from the English media and the poor lad gets build up with one hand while the knife gets raised for his back with the other lest he fails.
The hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil gushing from a ruptured well in the Gulf of Mexico have done little to prop up prices.
Where it's no problem to show blood gushing from a beheaded orc, but heaven forbid that a movie show a little booby?
Or is the only response to be the sound of yet more CVs gushing from the Laser Printers of Whitehall, including that perhaps of one G.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.