Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of becoming red in the face through modesty, confusion, or shame; suffusion with a roseate tint.
- Modest; bashful; given to blushing or suffused with blushes: as, a blushing maiden.
- Freshly blooming; roseate, literally or figuratively.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Showing blushes; rosy red; having a warm and delicate color like some roses and other flowers; blooming; ruddy; roseate.
- n. The act of turning red; the appearance of a reddish color or flush upon the cheeks.
- adj. having a red face from embarrassment or shame or agitation or emotional upset
“Celine Dion was blushing from the cheese and schmaltz when she heard it.”
“That they make them without blushing is a sign of the power of Tolkien, and the overwhelming quality of his prose.”
“Certainly,' said Orlando, again blushing so much that his father could not but perceive it – 'certainly I am – am acquainted with her; that is – I know her, to be sure, a little; – indeed, as I live so much under the same roof, it would be odd, and strange, if I did not.”
“If you have a business proposal to make to a Japanese woman, there's a slight chance she'll start blushing on you, since the English word "propose" is only used for marriage proposals in Japan, not for other kinds of formal business suggestions.”
“I think blushing is more physiological and you can’t he’p it.”
“Then she recalled her blushing girlhood days when she had made her first airplane flight with Tom Sr.”
“Shortly after the return of the family to Montreal Mr. Hazelton led to the altar with pride the "blushing" Mary Sedley.”
“Can I-- can I--" he stammered, blushing, meaning to finish with "direct you," or "show you the way.”
“It may be only an alteration of the heart-beats or breathing, or a modification in the distribution of blood, such as blushing or turning pale; or else a secretion of tears, or what not.”
“But her reception was worse than that of Macready, for not content with shouts and yells they heaped disgusting epithets on her, and were so vulgar in their ribaldry that she flew in affright from the stage, "blushing," it was said, "even through the rouge on her face.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘blushing’.
tiara's color lists rebuilt :)
( visual, colors, red, descriptive, randomness )
Words that make me feel cozy
Looking for tweets for blushing.