from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The action or an instance of a surge.
- v. Present participle of surge.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rising of waves, or as if of waves.
- n. In electricity, the undulatory movement of an electric charge, the motion being wave-like in character.
- n. The condition of resonance: applied to electric eircuits when capacity, inductance, and frequency are so related to one another that the capacity reactance neutralizes the inductive reactance and high currents may flow at destructive voltages; synchronous apparatus when the electrical constants and the mechanical momentum are so related as to cause an oscillation of high amplitude and thereby an unsteady operation; steam-engines when the periods of the swing of the governors are equal and the engines alternately take up and drop the load, thereby causing unsteadiness of operation of the electric machines driven by the engines. Also called hunting, pumping, and resonance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characterized by great swelling waves or surges
Sorry, no etymologies found.