American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Hunting with dogs trained to chase game by sight instead of scent.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sport of pursuing hares or other game with greyhounds, when the game is started in sight of the hounds.
- n. Disputing in the schools. See courser, 3.
- n. In coal-mining, regulation of the ventilation of a mine by systematically conducting the air through it by means of various doors, stoppings, and brattices.
- v. present participle of course.
- n. The "sport" of chasing wild animals, especially hares, with dogs by sight rather than by scent
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The pursuit or running game with dogs that follow by sight instead of by scent.
- n. hunting with dogs (usually greyhounds) that are trained to chase game (such as hares) by sight instead of by scent
“Feeling the adrenalin coursing through me, I struggle to retain control.”
“(Hare coursing is letting greyhounds chase hares in a field — a sort of libertarian dog racing without the bother of a track.) "In the minds of ordinary people," Mike said, hunting is "not an issue of class but an issue of behavior.”
“Hare coursing is banned, though it's working-class.”
“The breach sent a churning sea of water from Lake Pontchartrain coursing across Lakeview and into Mid-City, Carrollton, Gentilly, City Park and neighborhoods farther south and east.”
“Go to google, type in "now i feel your name coursing through my veins lyrics" the spill canvas, lullaby”
“Subhadra's son, that slayer of hostile heroes, beholding that sword coursing towards him, baffled it by the celerity of his movements.”
“ Probably, as Father Gerard suggests, what would now be known as a coursing-match.”
“When we moved to Santa Rosa, our home was near a wooded area next to an open field where Buddy enjoyed "coursing" - picking up a scent, then following it back and forth.”
“They practice a method that is known as coursing, referring to the notion of spotting the prey from”
“My lurcher came into my family in similar style, abandoned as a failed coursing dog, a broken infected tail, disrupted digestive system, covered in cuts and scrapes she spent the first 24 hours cowering under a table. on February 24, 2010 at 10: 38 pm Serpico”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘coursing’.
Hunting terms. See also http://www.wordnik.com/lists/hunting-cries
Looking for tweets for coursing.