from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The art of raising plants at an earlier season than is normal, especially by using a hotbed
- n. An extension in the development time of an underexposed negative in order to bring out detail
- n. A technique used to prove the consistency of certain axioms in set theory
- v. Present participle of force.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The accomplishing of any purpose violently, precipitately, prematurely, or with unusual expedition.
- n. The art of raising plants, flowers, and fruits at an earlier season than the natural one, as in a hitbed or by the use of artificial heat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In horticulture, the art or practice of raising plants by artificial heat, at a season earlier than the natural one.
- n. In gunnery, the act of making a bullet take the grooves of a rifle.
Sorry, no etymologies found.