from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Unrestrained or excessive in emotional expression; gushy: an effusive manner.
- adj. Profuse; overflowing: effusive praise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. gushy; unrestrained, extravagant or excessive (in emotional expression)
- adj. pouring, spilling out freely; overflowing
- adj. extrusive; having solidified after being poured out as molten lava
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pouring out; pouring forth freely.
- adj. formed by an outpouring of molten lava, or pertaining to rocks so formed.
- adj. overly demonstrative; expressing emotion in an unrestrained manner; exhibiting unrestrained enthusiasm; -- of people and human actions. Contrasted with
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pouring out; flowing forth profusely: as, effusive speech.
- Hence Making an extravagant or undue exhibition of feeling.
- Poured abroad; spread or poured freely.
- n. In petrography, a volcanic rock poured out on the surface of the earth: contrasted with intrusive rocks. Also extrusive.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. extravagantly demonstrative
- adj. uttered with unrestrained enthusiasm
From Latin effundere. (Wiktionary)