American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Capable of expanding or tending to expand.
- adj. Broad in size or extent; comprehensive: expansive police powers.
- adj. Open and communicative; talkative or effusive: Wine made the guest expansive.
- adj. Grand in scale: an expansive lifestyle.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Capable of causing or effecting expansion: as, the expansive force of heat.
- Capable of being expanded, or of expanding or spreading out in volume or extent; dilatable: as, the expansive quality of air; expansive gases or substances.
- Embracing a large number of objects or particulars; wide-extending; comprehensive: as, expansive benevolence; an expansive outlook.
- Comprehensive in feeling or action; sympathetic; effusive.
- adj. Able to be expanded.
- adj. Comprehensive in scope or extent.
- adj. Talkative and sociable.
- adj. mathematics Exhibiting expansivity.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having a capacity or tendency to expand or dilate; diffusive; of much expanse; wide-extending
- adj. causing expansion.
- adj. of much expanse; wide-extending.
- adj. friendly, open, and unrestrained in conversation or discourse; -- of people.
- adj. characterized by exaggerated feelings of euphoria and delusions of grandeur.
- adj. of behavior that is impressive and ambitious in scale or scope
- adj. able or tending to expand or characterized by expansion
- adj. friendly and open and willing to talk
- adj. marked by exaggerated feelings of euphoria and delusions of grandeur
“The word expansive has appeared in 606 New York Times articles in the past year, including on Nov. 2 in "Citi Field Fits In With History of Ballpark Changes," by Andrew Keh:”
“Learn more about the word "expansive" and see usage examples across a range of subjects on the Vocabulary.com dictionary.”
“In Westminster to settle some business before I leave for France, I come across Clegg in expansive mood.”
“Coming up the street on our bicycles, it seemed a grin – expansive and toothy, as if the bearer were just about to break out in maniacal laughter.”
“Still, a tent, no matter how expansive, is ultimately an enclosure.”
“It is a lovely word that teases the mind with the notion of expansive possibilities.”
“Speaker Pelosi called the expansive power for Treasury Secretary Paulson laid out by the bailout plan "almost laughable"; she questioned the price tag and time frame of the bailout; and she claimed President Bush ought to have given the American people an apology for his bankrupt economic policies during his nationally televised speech last night.”
“But the Democrats are staying put, in Illinois, to avoid a quorum and thus stall a proposal by Mr. Walker that would strip public employee unions of nearly all their collective bargaining powers, allow publicly owned power plants to be sold with what critics say is little guarantee of fair value, and give the governor's appointees what public health advocates describe as expansive new powers to limit health care coverage for lower-income residents.”
“But the Democrats are staying put, in Illinois, to avoid a quorum and thus stall a proposal by Walker that would strip public-employee unions of nearly all their collective-bargaining powers, allow publicly owned power plants to be sold with what critics say is little guarantee of fair value, and give the governor's appointees what public-health advocates describe as expansive new powers to limit health-care coverage for lower-income residents.”
“Here we're able to make it more expansive, which is great.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘expansive’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Use these and get promoted
a community exploring how to design for future learning
its a list of words borrowed from Magoosh GRE blog ,an indispensable resource for GRE test takers.
Words I like mostly because of the way they sound and feel.
mostly from magoosh
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
Looking for tweets for expansive.