from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having an offensive odor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Foul-smelling, Stinking.
- n. The foul-smelling assafoetida plant, or its extracts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having an offensive smell; stinking.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having an offensive smell; stinking.
- n. See fetid, fetor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. offensively malodorous
Middle English, from Latin fētidus, from fētēre, to stink.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Latin adjective, fetidus ("having offensive odour") (often incorrectly foetidus, giving rise to the variant spelling), originally feteo ("to stink"). (Wiktionary)