from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Arousing or deserving of pity or compassion; lamentable.
- adj. Arousing disdainful pity. See Synonyms at pathetic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That deserves, evokes or can be given pity, pitiful.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Deserving pity; wworthy of, or exciting, compassion; miserable; lamentable; piteous
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Deserving pity; worthy of or exciting compassion: applied to persons or things.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. deserving or inciting pity
- adj. inspiring mixed contempt and pity
piti- + -able (Wiktionary)