from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Frightened; panicky.
- adj. Having a moldy or musty smell: funky cheese; funky cellars.
- adj. Having a strong, offensive, unwashed odor.
- adj. Music Of or relating to music that has an earthy quality reminiscent of the blues.
- adj. Music Combining elements of jazz, blues, and soul and characterized by syncopated rhythm and a heavy, repetitive bass line.
- adj. Slang Earthy and uncomplicated; natural: "At the opposite end of Dallas's culinary spectrum is funky regional fare” ( Jacqueline Friedrich).
- adj. Slang Characterized by originality and modishness; unconventional: "a bizarre, funky [hotel ] dressed up as a ship, with mock portholes and mirrored ceilings over the beds” ( Ann Louise Bardach).
- adj. Slang Outlandishly vulgar or eccentric in a humorous or tongue-in-cheek manner; campy: "funky caricatures of sexpot glamour” ( Pauline Kael).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. offbeat, unconventional or eccentric.
- adj. Not quite right; of questionable quality; not appropriate to the context.
- adj. cool; great; excellent
- adj. Having or relating to the smell of funk.
- adj. relating to or reminiscent of various genres of African American music.
- adj. Relating to, or characterized by, great fear, or funking.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, or characterized by, great fear, or funking; having great fear.
- n. having an earthy, unsophisticated style or feeling
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Timid; shrinking in fear.
- Kicking; given to kicking, as a horse.
- Easily angered; touchy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. offensively malodorous
- adj. in a state of cowardly fright
- adj. (of jazz) having the soulful feeling of early blues
- adj. stylish and modern in an unconventional way
MIT is now looking to add more housing to its plans, said Marsh, the real estate executive, as well as what he termed funky retail'' components that would answer the city's and residents' desire to avoid filling the area with chain stores.
"It was what we called a funky place," says pianist and songwriter Dave Frishberg.
We´re not leaving for a while longer and I can´t add Antibbes to my list but I´ll be down the road in funky Marseilles enjoying (in my opinion) some of the best bouillabaisse and Bouride on the planet on the malecón south of the old port at the old style Restaurant Michele - an institution in Marseilles.
This makes it possible for some models to be used in funky interiors and other models in elegant rooms, ensuring a large array of usage.
Permute with as many different Web services as you can imagine being recombined in funky ways.
When it really becomes funky is when you get to civ stage.
We imagine drawing boards set up in funky apartments, maybe even garrets.
Baroness (any chick in funky glasses w/a cobra on her chest would be tight) & Cobra Commander, obviously.
It was metal and gemstones in funky, interesting, geometric patterns.
Bed Head, made by hair care giant TIGI, is the ultimate in funky, fun products.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.