from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Highly disturbing emotionally.
- adj. Highly offensive; indecent or distasteful.
- adj. Very vivid or intense in tone: shocking pink.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Inspiring shock; startling
- adj. Unusually obscene or lewd
- adj. Extremely bad
- v. Present participle of shock.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Causing to shake or tremble, as by a blow; especially, causing to recoil with horror or disgust; extremely offensive or disgusting.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Causing a shock of indignation, disgust, distress, or horror; extremely offensive, painful, or repugnant.
- Synonyms Wicked, Scandalous, etc. (see atrocious), frightful, dreadful, terrible, revolting, abominable, execrable, appalling.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. glaringly vivid and graphic; marked by sensationalism
- adj. giving offense to moral sensibilities and injurious to reputation
Sorry, no etymologies found.