from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Highly disturbing emotionally.
- adj. Highly offensive; indecent or distasteful.
- adj. Very vivid or intense in tone: shocking pink.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Inspiring shock; startling
- adj. Unusually obscene or lewd
- adj. Extremely bad
- v. Present participle of shock.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Causing to shake or tremble, as by a blow; especially, causing to recoil with horror or disgust; extremely offensive or disgusting.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Causing a shock of indignation, disgust, distress, or horror; extremely offensive, painful, or repugnant.
- Synonyms Wicked, Scandalous, etc. (see atrocious), frightful, dreadful, terrible, revolting, abominable, execrable, appalling.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. glaringly vivid and graphic; marked by sensationalism
- adj. giving offense to moral sensibilities and injurious to reputation
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It proposed a new national strategy to tackle what it called a "shocking state of affairs".
VIEW FAVORITES yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'U.N. and Red Cross Add to Outcry on Gaza War'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'The International Committee of the Red Cross reported finding what it called shocking scenes on Wednesday, including four emaciated children next to the bodies of their dead mothers.
The International Committee of the Red Cross reported finding what it called shocking scenes on Wednesday, including four emaciated children next to the bodies of their dead mothers.
It's a break from what he describes as the shocking news that Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, a Nigerian and Muslim, stands accused of plotting to blow up an airliner.
The Department of Justice on Thursday received a tongue-lashing from Parliament's watchdog public accounts committee for what it called the shocking state of the department's financial accounts.
My first effort will be to reconcile you to what you call a shocking thing in our laws, and to show you how very shocking it would be (on the other hand), if slaves were allowed to give testimony against the whites.
Berlin film festival is condemning what it calls the shocking …
Duchess of Cambridge to visit famine-hit areas of East Africa The Duchess of Cambridge has disclosed plans to visit famine-hit areas of East Africa to draw attention to what she described as the "shocking" plight of starving children.
The Afghan Ministry of Defense also condemned the actions in the video, which it described as "shocking."
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - The United Nations will quickly raise money for emergency repairs in the Gaza Strip, the world body's humanitarian chief promised Thursday after witnessing what he called shocking destruction from the three-week war between Israel and Hamas.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.